Saturday, June 14, 2008

Guacamole

In a mocahete, make a paste using serrano chilies to taste, garlic and sea salt. Add avocados, 1/2 at a time, and lightly mash into the chili paste, being careful to leave some chunks. Add fresh lime juice, diced onion and finely chopped cilantro.



Sorry I don't have exact quantities, I make it by eye.



***********



I've used the same ingredients with and without, and the one made with crushed ingredients (my only difference from yours is I grind cilantro in with the serranos, salt, and garlic) is soooo much better in releasing the flavors.



**************

Two tricks for you - to make a good chunky guac, (if you're using 3 avocados for example) mash two of them with the chili/garlic/salt and dice the third one. Stir it in with the lime/cilantro/etc at the end, being careful not to mash that one up. Blended flavor, nice chunks! Also, a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin adds a great flavor to guacamole (again assuming 3 avocados - my usual). Diced-small seeded tomato can be a nice optional ingredient too.

No comments: