- makes one 9-inch round cake, about 10 servings -
Adapted from Olives & Oranges by Sara Jenkins and Mindy Fox.
3/4 extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for the pan
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
1. Put oven rack in center position and heat oven to 325ºF. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. With an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on high speed for 5 minutes, or until pale and thick. Add yogurt zest; beat to combine. With mixer on medium speed, add oil in a quick steady stream. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture just until blended. Whisk batter by hand to make sure that all ingredients are incorporated.
4. Pour batter into pan. Bake, rotating pan once, until cake is golden, center springs back to touch, and edges pull away from pan, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool for a minute or two on rack, then release from pan and cool completely before slicing.