1 big eggplant, 1 small onion,
3-4 green chilies,
1 1/2 cup yogurt,
2 tsp oil,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1/2 tsp asafoetida,
1. Rub some oil to the surface of the eggplant and roast eggplant over direct flame flipping the sides a couple of times for even roasting.
2. After half an hour, or when the skin of eggplant loosens up from the inner flesh, insert a knife and check if the inner portion of eggplant has turned soft. Remove eggplant from the fire.
3. Peel off the skin and take only the inner flesh of the eggplant. Scoop out black seeds, if any. Mash it with a spatula or grind coarsely in a chopper / grinder.
4. Chop chilies and beat the yogurt. Make vertical thin pieces of onion. Combine beaten yogurt, chopped onion, chopped chilies, salt, sugar and the mashed eggplant.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they start spluttering, add asafoetida. This is a tempering for the bharit.
4. Pour this tempering over the prepared mixture. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve fresh.
Tip: Tempering can be skipped.