* 16 cups cauliflower, cut into small, even-size florets (from 2 large heads)
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1. Heat the oven to 450°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes, tossing cauliflower occasionally.
2. Arrange 1/2 of the cauliflower in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast until tender and slightly blackened, about 20 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and repeat with remaining cauliflower. Serve hot or at room temperature.