- makes 4 servings; zest factor: medium -
1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 cup butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 cups shredded Napa cabbage
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
4 (4-ounce) portions Sichuan Sirloin (recipe follows)
1/2 cup Honey Mustard Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Freshly ground Sichuan peppercorns
1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the oil. When hot, sauté the jicama and squash, tossing for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. In a bowl, combine the cabbage, tomatoes and bell pepper with the jicama mixture.
2. On a plate, mound 1 cup of the cabbage salad in the center. Top the salad with the Sichuan Sirloin, sprinkle with a grind of Sichuan pepper and a drizzle of vinaigrette. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- makes 4 servings, zest factor: medium -
1/2 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 teaspoon crushed green peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
1 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorns
1 scallion, sliced
2 tablespoons rock sugar, crushed
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
4 (4-ounce) portions beef sirloin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Sichuan peppercorns, for garnish
1. In a bowl, combine stock, soy, garlic, ginger, peppercorns, scallion, sugar, oil and cilantro, and mix well. Add the sirloin, and marinate the steaks for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
2. Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Sear the sirloin for 2 minutes. Turn steaks 180 degrees, and grill 2 minutes. Turn over, and grill 3 more minutes. Remove steaks from grill, and let sit for 5 minutes. Cut each steak across the grain into equal strips. Sprinkle pepper equally over the grilled steak.
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- makes 2 cups, zest factor: medium -
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 dried chile piquin, crushed
1 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds
1 small red onion, finely diced
salt and freshly ground pepper
In a blender, combine all ingredients.